Faculty of Social Sciences & Economics
The Faculty of Social Sciences and Economics comprises of the following Schools: Anthropology and Conservation, Economics, Business, Law, Politics and International Relations, Psychology, and Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research. In addition, Vision
The vision for the University is to be a leading academic centre of excellence in Africa and the world. In line with this vision, the Department of Economics will be a centre of excellence in the advancement of Economics teaching, research and consultancy in the continent and the world.
The Department’s mission is to advance intellectual and human resource capacity of the nation and international community by providing high standard of Economics knowledge, undertaking research and consultancy and providing advisory services to the international community. This, again, is in line with the University’s mission.
As its contribution to the Faculty of Social Sciences and indeed to the University as a whole, the Department of Economics has set out a series of goals in the areas of teaching, research and community services. These are detailed in the following paragraphs.
To provide service courses in economics to students in other disciplines so as to acquaint them with the subject matter of economics as well as with different theoretical and methodological approaches to explaining economic behavior;
To provide all undergraduate students with a critical understanding of the basic economic theories and of the relationships between economics and society;
To provide undergraduate honours students with a sufficiently high quality background in economics so as to enable them to successfully pursue post-graduate training programmes
To provide all undergraduate students with sufficient skills to pursue occupations requiring an application of the basic level of economic theories, tools and techniques;
To equip graduate students with an advanced level of training in economic theories, tools and techniques and with significant research capacity such that they can succeed either in employment as university academic staff and/or researchers or in employment as practicing economists/consultants or in positions which require independent research or advisory and consultancy initiative;
To provide teaching services to the non-university organizations as part of the university’s outreach or community service function and to do so in a manner that reflects the University’s general commitment to excellence in teaching;
To encourage the production of textbooks for use in courses taught in the Department and elsewhere and to encourage innovation and technical progress in teaching methods.
The Faculty of Business Economics Management is committed to equip students with strengths in business knowledge, skills, competency, and values to become intelligent people in order to cope with the change in the needs of societies.
Aims of the Faculty
- To provide students with strong and applied knowledge in business management.
- To develop qualified graduates for competitive labor market.
- To strengthen students’ ability to anticipate and analyze social challenges that confronts managers in the business environment. Provide students with innovative and creative capabilities
Requirements for Graduation
The Faculty of Business Economics offers the Associate degree of Business Economics and the Bachelor Degree of Business Administration (BBA) & Economics upon students who meet all the general requirements and the specific requirements listed below.
- Complete all the requirements in the curriculum with an accumulation of at least 64 credits for an associate degree and 122 credits for a bachelor’s degree including 30 credits of foundation year.
- Get at least 50 over 100 scores in each subject.
- To earn an associate degree, students who have successfully completed core course are required to take state examination
- To earn a bachelor’s degree, students who have successfully completed the core course and required course are required to take the state examination and write the final project paper.
Suggested Field of Study The Faculty of Business Economics Management offers seven majors of study in which Students can choose from it such as: Accounting and Finance Major, Banking and Finance Major, Marketing Major, General Management Major, Program and Project Development Management Major, Hospitality Business Management Major and Business Information Technology Major.Degrees/certificates offered Studying at the Faculty of Business Management, students are able to earn:
- Master of Economics
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of International Business
- Master of Financial Management
- Master of Human Resource Management
- Master of Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Management
- Bachelor of Marketing
- Bachelor of Accounting
- Bachelor of International Business Management
- Bachelor of Hotel and Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Advertising Management
- Bachelor of Chattel and Land Management
- Bachelor of Finance and Banking
- Bachelor of Economics
- Associate Degree of Management
- Associate Degree of Marketing
- Associate Degree of Accounting and Finance
- Associate Degree of International Business
- Associate Degree of Finance and Banking
- Associate Degree of Hotel and Tourism Management
- Associate Degree of Development Economics
Notice We also offered Ph.D Programs with above named courses
Suggested Program of Study Students enroll in the either associate’s or bachelor’s degree. A two-year course for associate program to meet the needs of the students who require skills and knowledge necessary in their careers in an intermediate length of time. Meanwhile, it has an opportunity to continue to do a bachelor degree. A four-year course for bachelor degree – one year in Foundation year and other three years in Bachelor courses. Students will acquire more competency in the field of study necessary for careers ranging from the mundane to professional management tasks and to continue to do a master or a higher degree.